Pages

Tuesday 2 May 2017

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten favourite book covers featuring people

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

This week is a freebie week dedicated to book covers. While I was writing last week's list, I realised that I'm often overly critical of covers that have people on them. Because of that, I decided to challenge myself this week: it's taken me a while, but I've managed to find ten book covers that feature people that I LOVE.

10) 'Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda' by Becky Albertalli
Image result for simon vs the homo sapiens agenda
I was debating over whether or not to put this cover in, because it's not an actual model... But to hell with it, it's my list and I love any excuse to talk about 'Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda'. 

9) 'If Birds Fly Back' by Carlie Sorosiak
Image result for if birds fly back carlie
Who doesn't love the beach? Who doesn't love constellations? Who doesn't love handwritten text? Three great reasons to love this cover. On the original design the model was more prominent, so my eye is automatically drawn to her even though she's no longer the focal point. 

8) 'Exit, Pursued By a Bear' by E.K. Johnston
Image result for ya covers with people
This cover is just so striking. The dark silhouette of the girl contrasting with the beautiful sunset, and the arms reaching up towards her... I can't think of another cover that looks anything like this one. 

7) The 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' trilogy by Jenny Han
Image result for to all the boys i've loved before jenny hanImage result for p.s. i still love you jenny hanImage result for to all the boys i've loved before jenny han
The pastel colours, the handwriting, the fact that the cover design didn't change throughout the trilogy (despite the fact that Jenny Han didn't even know she was going to write the third one!) - these books are so visually pleasing. 

6) 'Gem & Dixie' by Sara Zarr
Image result for gem & dixie goodreads
This cover makes me nostalgic for something I've never experienced, which is a weird feeling. I love the natural lighting, the costumes and the way they're carelessly strewn across their blankets: it looks like the perfect autumn day, and I can almost smell the leaf mould in the air when I look at it. 

5) 'Fireworks' by Katie Cotugno
Image result for katie cotugno fireworks
I'm a sucker for both polaroids and collages, so I love the way this cover takes a bunch of snapshots of the characters having fun and collects them. I know nothing about this book, but I want to read it purely because the cover is so well-designed. 

4) 'P.S. I Like You' by Kasie West
Image result for p.s. i like you kasie west
This cover is so cute! Contemporary covers with people on are often so cheesy, but the awkwardness is dissipated in this one because they're both holding their comical signs. 

3) 'The One' by Kiera Cass
Image result for the selection kiera cass
Out of all five of the books in the Selection series, 'The One' is the only ONE (haha!) that I cannot fault. Something bugs me on each of the others, but this cover is gorgeous: the style of the dress, the understated background, the expression on the model's face... Beautiful.

2) 'The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer' by Michelle Hodkin
Image result for the unbecoming of mara dyer
Every time I see this cover, I get chills. I've always loved underwater photography, but there's something about the intensity of the pose, the way that they're just above the water but almost completely submerged... Stunning. 

1) The Winner's trilogy by Marie Rutkoski
Image result for the winner's curseImage result for the winner's crimeImage result for the winner's kiss
This is another trilogy that has three beautiful covers: I wasn't going to force myself to choose just one!

I hope you enjoyed this Top Ten Tuesday! What did you decide to do with your book cover freebie list?

22 comments:

  1. I've not read the Mara Dyer series yet (although I've been meaning to) but the covers for each book are absolutely gorgeous. The pose and photography looks so great together.
    My Cover-themed TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first two novels, but the second one had me clutching my chest and sobbing from how beautiful it was. Safe to say it's been hard to motivate myself to give the third one a go! :P

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! You've picked so many of my favorites! I really love Exit, Pursued by a Bear. You're right that's there's nothing else out there like it. The cover fits the story perfectly too. I adore the To All the Boys covers. They're so simple but striking. And The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of my all time favorite covers. I love the book too. Great list!!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to read it yet - living in the UK it's impossible to find a copy :( I'm just hoping the inside is as gorgeous as the outside.
      Glad you liked the list!

      Delete
  3. I love the cover of Gem and Dixie. I don't think I've read any of these but know I own the Mara Dyer books somewhere (on my Kindle or maybe in hard form somewhere waiting to go on a shelf). Great list and topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've hardly read any of them, but that doesn't stop me loving the covers! :P

      Delete
  4. I generally say that I don't like covers with people on it...BUT OMG IT'S NOT TRUE BECAUSE I LOVE THESE COVERS!! Some of my favourite covers of ever are the Winner's Curse series.❤️ And I adore Simon Vs and Exit, Perused By A Bear and the Jenny Han books. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was going to be harder to find ten than it was because I've always said I absolutely hated them - I'm a dirty liar! :P

      Delete
  5. Love your picks!! The Mara Dyer series have really cool covers-- which is what initially made me want to read them. Also, LOVE Gem & Dixie, To All the Boys series, and Exit Pursued by a Bear. AND Fireworks-- I'm a total sucker for collage book covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collage book covers should be done more - they're so effective, but I can think of a surprisingly little amount!

      Delete
  6. So many great covers! I really loved To All the Boys I've loved Before, but I haven't picked up the next 2 books in the series. I think because I loved it so much, I was worried she was going to ruin it so I didn't pick them up. lol Basically I'm a crazy person. I'm sure I will read them eventually. P.S I Like You's cover is so adorable! I definitely need to read that one. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not crazy - I've done exactly the same thing! I've bought them all, so they sit next to each other looking beautiful, but I'm far too scared to continue the series.

      Delete
  7. Hi! I love this because I, too, am critical of covers with people :) That Mara Dyer cover has always grabbed my attention, though. Great post!
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's not just me - I always felt like the odd one out! It's a strikingly beautiful cover for a brilliant book which I highly recommend <3

      Delete
  8. It's always tough when the people on a book cover look completely different than what you imagine the characters inside the book to look like. I usually prefer my own versions :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always makes me so angry! If there's someone with dark hair on the cover and they're constantly mentioning the character being a blonde - why would you do that?!

      Delete
  9. I ALMOST did this exact same topic! I don't normally like books with people on them so I thought it'd be good to post about those that I do like...but I couldn't think of enough XD. You have great choices, though. I love Jenny Han books, The Winner's Curse, and Exit. They're really striking without being too off-putting.

    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love the topic you chose instead - I wish I'd thought of it, because I love the difference between covers from different countries!

      Delete
  10. Simon and the Homo Sapiens Agenda is excellent - great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Selection series has beautiful covers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fix all relationship/marriage issues.. I was able to win back my Ex lover with the help of…. Dr.mac@ yahoo. com...............

    ReplyDelete