Pages

Monday 25 April 2016

NEW MUSIC MONDAY: Melanie Martinez


I've been thinking of featuring Melanie Martinez for a few weeks, because she's very popular in America, but hasn't received as much attention in the UK yet. With her first London headline show happening in two days time - at Heaven in London - that's likely to change: when you consider the fact that she's following it up with an appearance at the O2 Kentish Town Forum in a couple of weeks, that's already a massive growth of venue size. 
Melanie Martinez is 21 this week, and considering the fact that her debut album, 'Cry Baby', went in at number 6 on the US Billboard charts? She's already achieved a hell of a lot for her age. She was discovered on The Voice, as part of Adam Levine's team - she was eliminated after making it through to the top 6, but got signed to Atlantic Records soon afterwards (two years ago this month). After releasing her 'Dollhouse' EP, she started work on 'Cry Baby' - it was finally released last August, and she's since released a whole bunch of music videos to accompany the songs (she's announced that there will be a music video for each song on the record, and she produces and directs a lot of them herself). 

My favourite song from 'Cry Baby' is probably 'Carousel': it's creepy and has a very dark vibe to it, but it's also a major ear worm and you won't be able to get it out of your head. 


I hope you enjoyed this New Music Monday! If you have a band and you'd like to be featured next week, you can contact me on Twitter or through my contact page.

2 comments:

  1. I remember her from The Voice -- I think that may have been the last season I actually watched it. I really enjoy her sound and will definitely have to check out some of her other songs. Thanks for the feature - I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete