Pages

Wednesday 24 February 2016

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five worst love interests

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

We've all been there. You're reading a book that you're absolutely loving: the protagonist is great, the world building is inspiring and the plot is absolutely captivating. You're sure it's going to be the best book you've ever read!
And then the awful love interest comes bounding in and messes everything up.
You can't understand why anyone would fall in love with them, because they have no redeeming qualities and they have the emotional depth of a puddle.
Who am I talking about, you ask?

5) Augustus Waters, 'The Fault In Our Stars'
Pretentious asshole.
I mean, uh, great guy. 

4) Tris Prior, the Divergent trilogy
I nearly picked Four, but he's actually a decent love interest: he's selfless, caring and sacrificing, but not in a stupid way. Meanwhile Tris is a hormone-fueled teenager running around without thinking twice about what she's getting up to - she's very annoying as a love interest, and even worse as a protagonist. 

3) Edward "I watch you while you sleep" Cullen, the Twilight saga
Need I say more?

2) Stefan Salvatore, The Vampire Diaries
No offence to Stefan, but he's a bit of a sad sack. Look at that brooding face, those emo kid quotes... He tries to be a good guy, but he's not a good guy, and then he gets all introspective and complainy. At least Damon can own the fact that he's an asshole! 

1) Malyen Oretsev, The Grisha trilogy
(art found on Pinterest: if anyone knows who the designer is, please let me know! It's so pretty <3)

Alina is a plain, boring, regular girl: Mal sleeps around with attractive Grisha. Alina discovers her Grisha powers and becomes extraordinary, the chosen one, perfect: Mal suddenly claims he's been in love with her his entire life and just didn't know how to tell her.
To me, that says something fishy is going on...
There are many more appealing love interests in the Grisha trilogy, and many more interesting characters to boot, but because Alina is so obsessed with Mal we have to put up with him much more than I wanted to. He's definitely the worst love interest I've ever encountered.

I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday! Do you agree with my choices, or do you love some of these characters yourself?

8 comments:

  1. Can I nominate both Anastasia Steele AND Christian Grey? Also, my favorite couple to diss...Aragorn and Arwen. I mean, come ON. Prissy elf seamstress vs awesome shieldmaiden Eowyn? No question Aragorn should have ended up with Eowyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I agree with all of these - I think I need a lot more than just five on this list! :P

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with Mal! Oh boy, how I hate him! I wish he would just disappear from the face of the earth. How can someone choose him over Nikolai????

    https://ariastuckinwonderland.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/2141/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! That choice definitely didn't make any sense, Nikolai was the best.

      Delete
  3. I love that you picked Stefan Salvatore. He complains about Damon only caring about himself, but I think it's the other way around and don't get me started on how much of an asshole he is to his girlfriends and exgirlfriends. I mean bleh. I mean yeah I love Damon and yes Damon is an asshole, but at least he tries to correct his mistakes and doesn't blame it on other people like Stefan does. I hate how I didn't remember Stefan for mine, but I love that you mentioned him here. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god that is exactly it! Damon doesn't try to be someone he's not - he's so unapologetically himself - but Stefan seems to blame all of his problems on other people and doesn't notice the fact that he's super self-absorbed. *shakes fist in anger*

      Delete
  4. I completely agree with your list! Didn't even think of Stefan but you're right. I'm just gunna turn my human side off. Come to think of it Elena was awful too.

    Here's my: Top 5 Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elena was terrible - I probably should have picked her as well!

      Delete