Pages

Tuesday 27 October 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten horror books I'm too scared to read

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

A lot of the time, the books on my TBR are there because I'm too lazy to read them, or I just don't have enough time. 
That is not the case with these choices.
These are all horror books that have premises and covers that spook me out so much that I can't bring myself to pick them up. I don't get scared easily, but these books do the trick. The contents might not be that scary, but I'm too much of a scaredy cat to get far enough to try them.

10) 'It' by Stephen King
I'm not even scared of clowns, but the look on the face of this one? Eurgh. It's also a massive book, which is another reason it's scary.

9) 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' by Ransom Riggs
Creepy children are the creepiest. 

8) 'Red Dragon' by Thomas Harris
 
This book has nothing to do with dragons. Absolutely nothing. Nope. 

7) 'The Mailman' by Bentley Little
 The most terrifying horror novels are the ones that you can relate to, and who can't relate to receiving mail?!

6) 'Dante's Inferno' by Danta Alighieri
 
"The Divine Comedy"? Yeah, cause eternal damnation is hi-larious!

5) 'Jaws' by Peter Benchley
Yeah, cause being eaten alive looks like a walk in the freaking park!

4) 'Let The Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist
And I'm not even scared of vampires. Not one tiny, little bit. Honest...

3) 'Bird Box' by Josh Malerman
I keep picking up 'Bird Box' in the library and then putting it straight back: I just can't handle it.

2) 'NOS 4R2' by Joe Hill
I could really have picked any of Joe Hill's novels, because they all look terrifying! The creepy car, the blood splattered headlights... Jeez.

1) 'The Shining' by Stephen King
I tried not to pick two Stephen King novels for this list, but 'The Shining' needed to be mentioned. This book is so scary, Joey Tribbiani needed to hide it in his freezer. That's too scary for me. 

I hope you enjoyed this Top Ten Tuesday. If you've read any of the books I was too scared to try, please let me know if you recommend them!

11 comments:

  1. I'm way too much of a wuss to read horror but Stephen King, yeah definitely staying way away from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with paranormal things like zombies and vampires - supernatural cannibalism is the best! - but anything ghost-y is way too much for me to cope with! D:

      Delete
  2. If you look over your shoulder, I think you can see me somewhere behind you, hiding in the shrubbery. I couldn't read any of these either.

    Here's mine: Spoo-ooky Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me! I might go hide under my blankets - I just hope there aren't any monsters under my bed...

      Delete
  3. Man, I agree with you about the car on the cove of NOS 4R2... Creepy-rama! Very interesting list! Happy Halloween week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading NOS4R2 at the moment! It is rather creepy!! 'It' though... there's just something about that clown that terrifies me! I'd love to read Miss Peregrine's and Let the Right One In though!


    My TTT - Top Ten... Homicidal Inanimate Objects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm probably going to get to Miss Peregrine's before the rest of them, because all of the illustrations and the creepy photography really adds another level to the design. I've heard Let The Right One In is a brilliant film, so hopefully the book is just as good!

      Delete
  5. I need that edition of NOS4A2. It's the best one I have seen. Bentley Little is one of my favorite authors - right up there with Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautifully designed, even if it does look terrifying. That's extremely high praise - I'll need to check him out!

      Delete
  6. The last two SO SCARY. The Shining freaks me out every time I read it.
    My ttt
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2015/10/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-that-were.html

    ReplyDelete