Pages

Thursday 30 April 2015

Birthday Book Haul!

I've had an amazingly lucky month this month, winning three books on Goodreads First Reads (only two of which have arrived so far, so I'll haul the third one next month!) and three books through a Facebook competition, so I've only actually bought myself a handful of books this month, which is a surprise.

Goodreads First Reads:



The two ARCs I won through Goodreads First Reads are 'The Sudden Departure of the Frasers' by Louise Candlish, and 'Solitude Creek' by Jeffery Deaver. Both book are publishing on the 7th of May, so you'll be able to get your hands on these beauties very soon! 
'The Sudden Departure of the Frasers' tells the story of a family who have just moved into their new house and find their neighbours to all be completely hostile. One of the new homeowners discovers that the previous family disappeared without a trace last summer, so she takes it upon herself to find out why...
I don't really know much about 'Solitude Creek', and I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read any Jeffery Deaver books so far, but I love thrillers and I already own a few of his books, so this is a great excuse to finally get around to those. 

Competition wins: 


I entered a competition hosted by Just Write on Facebook and luckily I won! The three books are 'Get Started In Self-Publishing', 'Masterclass: Write A Bestseller' and 'Complete Writing For Children Course'. I've been reading a lot of books about writing recently, and have started off on a few story ideas, so I'm sure that if I get stuck I can pick these up and they can give me some inspiration.

Books I bought: 


I hauled the Percy Jackson books (well, apart from the last one) a couple of months ago, and while I still haven't gotten around to reading them I couldn't resist picking up this Heroes of Olympus box set when I saw it for sale in my local The Works. Four books for thirteen pound was an absolute bargain, and I wasn't surprised when it completely sold out within a week, so I'm very happy with these ones.


I like short stories, and I like P. C. Cast, so when I saw that Waterstones were selling the American edition of 'Eternal: More Love Stories With Bite' for just £3 brand new, I had to pick it up. It's a collection of paranormal romance stories, written by some of my favourite authors, so I'm sure I'll devour this one when I eventually get around to it. 


I haven't read any Christine Feehan novels yet, because of how many books comprise each of the series she has written, but when I spotted the first novel in the Carpathian series in a charity shop for £1, I had to pick it up. I know they're books about vampires, so I'm not too sure if I'm going to fall in love with this series, but I might as well give the first book a try before running in headfirst and buying all of the twenty plus books in this set. 


In Swindon, there is a brilliant charity shop which gives away the first three books you want to purchase free, and I found some books in there that I was really excited about so I had to grab them. After winning 'Solitude Creek' on Goodreads at the start of the month, I couldn't stop myself from getting 'Twisted' by Jeffery Deaver. 'You Can't Hide' by Karen Rose is another thriller, and I've already read and fallen in love with a lot of Karen's novels, so I was excited about buying another one.
The third book I got was the beautiful hardback cover of 'Tempest' by Julie Cross. I already own the paperback version, but I just thought this edition was so pretty and it looks amazing on my bookshelf. 


This month was World Book Night 2015, and I was a book giver, choosing to give away 'The Martian' by Andy Weir. I managed to give away all of my copies but one, so I just had to keep it for myself so that it didn't go to waste! 


The library I work in often sells on books once they've stopped being issued, so I couldn't resist grabbing a few of those as well. 'The Equality Illusion' and 'Go Ask Alice' are both non-fiction books; 'The Equality Illusion' focusing on the need for feminism when there's still such a large gap between the sexes, and 'Go Ask Alice' focusing on a young girls struggle with drug edition. I've been reading a lot of feminist texts recently, so I'm always interested on books focusing on that issue, and I was recommended 'Go Ask Alice' a few years ago after reading 'Crank' by Ellen Hopkins, so I'm sure that'll be one I'll fly through as well.
I bought 'The Avenger' by P. C. Cast, as it's one of the only P. C. Cast novels that I hadn't actually heard of, but because I enjoy her writing style so much hopefully I'll enjoy this one. I also got 'Dead Ever After', the final book in the True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse series of novels by Charlaine Harris, meaning I've finally acquired the complete collection and I'll start marathoning through those soon enough.

Birthday presents: 

Of course, being a book blogger means that on my birthday I received some brilliant novels from my family, and these are all ones I cannot wait to read. 


First off, I received 'I'll Give You The Sun' and 'The Sky Is Everywhere' by Jandy Nelson. Most book bloggers have been going on about these books since last year, but because the UK suck we only had them printed rather recently! I'm really excited about these though - they both sound like amazing contemporaries that are going to rip my heart out and stomp all over it. 
I wasn't too sold on the covers compared to the American editions, but do you know what makes these editions awesome? 


Coloured pages!!!


As well as the two Jandy Nelson novels, I also got given the 'Anna and the French Kiss' companion trilogy by Stephanie Perkins! I read 'Anna...' back in November and I really enjoyed Stephanie's writing style - I thought it was a really cute contemporary, even if I didn't fall head over heels in love with it - so I couldn't wait to continue on with the series, but the library didn't have them in! Thankfully I've now got them, and in such beautiful, beautiful cover editions, and I can't wait to fly through 'Lola and the Boy Next Door' and 'Isla and the Happily Ever After' and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment